[VAC] Re: A/S Floor Repair

What I would like to know is if these expensive epoxy products are any
better ...in the real world ...than using dirt cheap polyester resin. I
think polyester is a third of the cost (???). Epoxy is stronger for sure,
but if the rotted plywood is 3/4 inch thick, the polyester repaired section
should be stronger than the original wood, I would think. So what's the
point using epoxy and making it even stronger when that would not be
necessary?  The consistency of the product is very important, however, so
that it is thin enough to flow into the rotten wood. Some polyester resins
are made thicker so you can use them on vertical surfaces (i.e.  in boat
building --coating fiberglass cloth over plywood). The product I used was
pretty thin, but more like syrup than water (maybe like 10W-30 motor oil). I
got it at a fiberglass tank factory where they buy it by the 55 gallon drum.
He sold me a gallon for a couple of bucks. I haven't used the epoxy systems
listed above. What viscosity are they?

One "problem" with the polyester resin was that it smelled for a long time.
However, by the time I had the trailer ready to go several months later, and
I had put new floor tiles over the repaired floor, the smell was not longer
noticeable.

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA
#15767