[VAC] A/S Floor Repair

To Marc Weimer and others who may also have tried it:

Marc,  I joined the VAC a couple of years ago and have been reading the VAC
newsletter with interest but only recently acquired a vintage trailer and
began getting serious about restoring it.   Now the back issues of the VAC
newsletter have taken on new meaning for me.

This morning I was flipping pages in the Winter 2000 issue and ran across
your story of how the '63 Globe Trotter persuaded you to give it a new home.
When I read the line about how the previous president of VAC suggested that
you use polyester resin to repair a rotted section of floor my attention was
really focused.

My '66 Safari has a rotted section of floor in the extreme right rear corner
of the trunk compartment.  It is out of sight, not a load bearing section
that is walked on, and is still in place but the strength and integrity of
the plywood is severely compromised by rot.  Much of the wood fiber has
disappeared but the "shell" of the plywood is still present.  There is no
hole, yet!  The black water tank has been removed so I have access from
below and with the battery and battery box, and a section of PVC gray water
drain piping removed, I will also have access to the top surface of the
damaged plywood.

Did you follow the advice about using resin?  Is polyester resin a solution
you would recommend for the circumstance I have described?  It sounds like a
perfect solution but I would like to have the benefit of your experience (or
anyone else's) and your recommendation.

BTW, I also share your love of old cars and old Airstreams.

Harvey Barlow
Lubbock, TX
'93 Excella, '66 Safari, '94 Ford F250HD (only 142,500 miles)