[VAC] Re: deadbolt

Dick and Listees,

On a '73 Excella 500-I installed a stainless steel Home Depot model into the
frame adjacent to the door a several inches higher than the door latch.  I
machined two solid pieces of aluminum that match the stainless bezels
because the "store-bought" bezels were too shallow.  In other words: because
the thickness of the wall of the trailer was too thin for the lock I
purchased.  Also make sure you buy one that has a long bolt.

I also machined the dead bolt's back side so that I could even lock the
screen door by itself.

I have heard that some installers get $50 labor.  If they've done it before
and you KNOW they'll do a good job....then it is worth it.  It took me some
3-4 hours of measuring, fitting, shaping and ensuring it would lock and
unlock every time.

Good luck.
Rich Walbridge
mailto:richwalbridge@airstream.net