[VAC] Re: Vintage brakes and seals

Bill and others,

The normal Kelsey Hayes seals are readily available as are the seals to fit
my 54
HOWEVER
I had a conversation with a gentleman at the Interrnational last year who
was telling me of his seal problems with a mid 60's trailer.
He told me that some trailers of this vintage used a drum from some one
other than KH. The name escapes me. A seal with the proper innner dimension
is readily available and the problem was with the outer diameter which
could not be matched.  He manufactured an interference fit adapter that
allowed him to use the next size down OD. I also questioned him about the
feasibility of machining the hub to accomodate a larger OD seal but he
hadn't tried that approach  He left me with the impression he would be
willing to supply these adapters to others.

The problem is all this took place during the heat of the open house and I
failed to note his name. I seem to remember that he was from the northwest
U.S. or western canda and he or his family had some association with the
commercial(not rv) trailer business. I did suggest that Bud would be
interested in this and pointed him toward Bud's trailer but don't know if
they got together or not. Feel free to chastise me for not paying more
attention.
Since there were only 1200 trailers at the rally there is a detective
challenge  here for someone.  Possibly something in The newsletter might
bring  a response.

I do have part numbers in the files for both the 54 seals and the 69 and 70
seals but I am sure they match the numbers already posted.  They currently
sell in the ten dollar area at the auto parts.  The last Towcraft seal I
had from about 20 years back was marked $1.50.

Has anyone checked to see if the mre generic KH/Dexter etc drums and
bearings would fit??  Wouldn't cost a lot more that seals from Inland??

9 Degrees in Tn this morning after a 40 plus degree temp drop.  If I can
get the truck doors thawed out and all the brass monkeys inside I am off to
deliver a trailer in Fort Myers before the evening snow storm rolls through.

Rick Davis 1602
54 safari
69 Ambassador
70 Globe trotter