[VAC] Re: Ammeter

The meter for a shunt is really a low voltage voltmeter, makes it hard
to tell much by running milliamps through it unless you can measure the
full scale voltage drop too. If I knew the millivolts full scale, I
could tell you the length of shunt to build rather easily. Otherwise you
just start with a length of #2 and experiment.

ALL wires have resistance. I figure a foot more or less may give a
decent reading. The description of the copper bar with taps may mean it
needs less than a foot of #2 copper to read decently.

Its the meter or the meter wires, not the shunts in your Chryslers. If
the shunt opened everything stops working.

There are standard shunts sold by electronics places like Newark and
Allied Electronics, made by Simpson Electric among others. Last I looked
probably at least $50 each. A lot of bread if a foot of wire will do
adequately (though with far less precision).

Gerald J.