[VAC] Vintage VINs, Vintage Brakes, and Vintage Shock Absorbers

Members:

Thanks to each of you who responded to my question about breaking down my
VIN.  I suspected the old trailer was a west coast unit because when I got
it,the original dealer license plate frame with the name of a CA city was
still installed.  I think I'll clean it up, possibly have it rechromed, and
reinstall it when I get the old unit back on the road.

The rest of you may be years ahead of me on the following "discovery" but
I'll share it on the chance that anyone is facing a decision about repairing
the electric brakes on a vintage trailer.

This week I turned my attention to the brakes and wheel bearings on my
Safari.  Before I put it up on blocks to remove the wheels, tires, brake
drums and wheel bearings, I tested the electric brakes with a battery
charger jury rigged into the tow vehicle connector and found one of two
brake magnets was dead.  The brake shoes showed little wear and the backing
plates, springs, clips, and adjusters looked serviceable but rusted.  I
removed the bad magnet and traveled to a local RV dealer where the Airstream
mechanic who formerly worked at the now defunct early Airstream dealer,
Abbot Trailer Sales, is now employed.  I showed him the magnet which was
oblong and different than previous Airstream brake magnets I had seen.  The
mechanic suggested that since it is never satisfactory to replace only one
magnet, (they should always be replaced at least in pairs according to him)
rather than buying two new magnets I should buy complete new backing plates
with all new brake shoes, magnets, springs, clips, and adjusters.  He
explained that I could buy a complete new backing plate with all new
hardware for approximately $40 while one new magnet would cost about $28.  I
was skeptical but sure enough, I went to a local manufacturer of
agricultural and commercial trailers and purchased two complete new 12"
electric brake backing plates with all hardware for about $45 each.  I also
bought new inner and outer wheel bearings and inner seals for about $10 per
wheel.  So, for the grand total of about $130 with tax, my old trailer now
has complete new brakes and wheel bearings and will be ready to hit the road
with confidence.

I also removed the rusty and dirty old shock absorbers which appeared to be
original.  On extension they still had some tension but on compression, they
were limp.  I inquired and learned that the local Airstream dealer sells
replacements for about $40 per shock.  The old shocks had a DELCO (GM) part
number which made me think there was a good chance that Airstream used
commonly available and cheap Chevrolet shocks. (As a recent purchaser of the
trailer, I can't swear they're original)  The Delco part number would not
cross but my local NAPA parts friend miked and measured the original shock,
flipped through his parts catalogs, disappeared into the back room, and
returned with a pair of brand new NAPA gas charged shocks with nearly
identical specs for $17.40 per shock.  His catalog showed that the normal
application for the new shock was '68-'70 something Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
front shocks.  The replacements may not provide the identical damping as the
engineers specified for the original shocks but they fit and they will
certainly be better than the limp originals I removed.

So, for whatever they may be worth, I'm passing on my experiences with '66
Safari brakes, bearings, and shocks.  I hope this will be of use to someone
in a similar situation.

Harvey Barlow
'93 Excella, '66 Safari, VAC