[VAC] Modern design and new Bambi design

Bambi design discussion,

I have some observations which may help put all these design comments into perspective.

The original Wally Byam concept of the Airstream trailer was one that was consistent with the Mid Century Modern design school of the time. Namely, form follows function, and functional designs can be beautiful in their own right.

Today there is a revived interest in Mid Century Modern furniture and accessory design.  These are the post war designs of Eames, Nelson, Bertoia, Saarinen, Knoll, etc.

As someone in the group mentioned, Wally Byam would probably stay away from the "decorated,mobile home look" [and be more inclined to go with the aforementioned mid century modern look - which was the Airstream look]. I believe he would try to make things as light as possible, without sacrificing function or utility.  Minimizing trailer weight, reducing wind resistance, keeping a low center of gravity, and independent suspension are essential to an easy towing trailer, and were basic to Wally's design philosophy (form following function). This is in dramatic contrast to the current line of Airstreams which are much bigger, heavier, and more luxurious.  I cannot fault Thor for going in this direction, if that is what the market calls for.  On the other hand, the reaction to the new Bambi on the VAC Forum seems to indicate that there is a sizeable market for the older design philosophy.

I have a 1976 25' Land Yacht, with a rear bath and a center double bed. In my view, this is the perfect size for vacationing.  25' will get you into almost any campground (I happen to like national, state and county parks).  A longer trailer is often too long to maneuver in campgrounds originally designed for tent camping. Unfortunately, Chevrolet (and GM) no longer makes the full size two door Blazer/Jimmy, whose short wheelbase made the rig very maneuverable while providing a truck frame and two speed transfer case (on the four wheel drive).  This rig could go most anywhere. Also, the 25' length trailer is the minimum needed to separate the living area from the galley and recreation area. This was perfect when my son was small.  My wife and I still had some privacy, and yes, we still like to cuddle up together in a double bed.

My 1976 has the tambour doors and light weight plastic covered panel doors.  No question, it is not a plush look, and a real letdown from the prior year Airstreams with real walnut paneling and cabinets. On the other hand, it moves along very well.

Walnut (though a beautiful cabinet wood) is dark, and hence makes a compact space seem even smaller. The choice of maple (a very light colored wood ) was, in my opinion, a good choice for the new Bambi since it is a richer looking material  than plastic, and very durable when finished with modern conversion vanish.

The light color plastic of my '76 er, though not very rich looking, is very practical. It is easy to clean, and maximizes the  visual space. This style could be upgraded with modern hollow foiled doors and provide a lower cost alternative to the current style.  My guess is there is a sizeable market of younger families (and couples and individuals) who would be interested in my style of trailer.  Obviously, Thor would have to come up with a very different marketing program to reach this audience.

Oliver Filippi
WBCCI # 2141