[VAC] Re: Radiant flooring

I would see if I could come up with a tankless heating unit, in the interests of saving weight. I would also assume (maybe erroneously) that because of the confines of a trailer and small footprint, that such a hydronic system would be near "on demand" heating.
I love radiant heat, but I am afraid the weight penalty
might be too high to make it practical.
I wonder, what kinda weights ones would end up with using a foam and tubing (plastic) core, with say a 3/8" plywood deck and some suitable bottom skin for a composite panel, maybe aluminum.  Add in the weight of a on demand heater, found this from a quick search : (http://www.promolife.com/products/tankless.htm) there are electric and gas models here, though it might be hard to find a 110 volt version. The LP version rated at 38,000 BTU's weighs in at 25 pounds.
Personally, part of the appeal of
the vintage Airstream is the lightweight and functional simplicity of its
design. Most modern RVs need a "Tank" to tow them and are heavy and complex.
I think that this this also lends the Airstream design to this kind of discussion.
     If anyone could come up with a light weight subfloor that is well
insulated, the platic tubing wouldn't add that much to the weight, my only
other concern is all that water...
Let's say 240 linear feet of tubing for a 30' X 8' interior (assuming under cabinet installation) I recall somewhere that a good estimate would be 1ft per sq. ft of space.
Now what does water weigh? 8.8 lb. per Gal.
One Gallon = 231 Cubic Inches
PIr^2 --> 3.14 X (0.25 ^ 2) = 0.19625 sq. in. (x-sectional area of 1/2" tubing)
0.19625 X 240 (linear ft of tubing) X 12 (ft to inches) = 565.2 cu in. = 2.45 Gals = 21.53 pounds.

Did I do that right?  Been a long time since Math class.

I'm sure someone will correct me in needed.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and suggest that such a composite floor panel would be near to the same as a plywood floor, a bit thicker perhaps. Again, someone will correct me.

--

bobb

http://64.33.167.222/