[VAC] Re: Houston: we have lift off....of the MYSTERY trailer

Congratulations Tryke!!
While the shell of your 53 is primarily supported by the floor,  the
outriggers and the frame ends, at both ends, do help.  I would be
interested to know if the outriggers ( added steel from the frame rails
to the outermost perimeter)  are rusty, and compromised.  Your 53, is
the first frame off of the 50's that I have heard of.   Jrnyman, the
blacksmith is in the process, but has not yet made lift off.  Others
have done it, but I think they are 60's models.   I agree with RJ, take
lots of pictures, and if possible, weigh the shell for good trivia
stats.  The 50's frames were thinner and lighter, so we would all like
to know if you will modify, and beef-up that old ladder.  Adding a grey
tank, and other weighty items will add to the load.    Good luck with
your sandblasting and with this total restoration.

Bill Scott
Charter Member and Membership Chairman
Washington DC Unit,  WBCCI   #3221
Our Homepage;  http://www.servintfree.net/wbcci-dc/