[VAC] Re: New to a '64 Globetrotter

John:
That would be my guess.

I have a 1963 Globe Trotter 19. I just had it weighed. It was 3380 pounds.
This was with most everything loaded in (food, pots and pans, propane, etc.)
, but NO WATER. I'd have to guess it weighs just under 3000 pounds empty. It
does tow very easy (even when fully loaded). I've used a 318 cu. in. V8
1968 Dodge Polara. It works very well on the flat ...but we live in Western
Pennsylvania where it is hilly. When you get to a 10 percent grade, it
struggles due to the fact that the car was not intended for towing. It has
the wrong gears (2.76 : 1 , I think).  On the other hand, it can get 14 MPG
towing, which is pretty good. The rig (car plus trailer) feels very stable
on curves and straight-aways and is pleasant to drive. On the level, it does
not struggle at all to do 55 MPH.    65 is okay on the level, but I never
had a terrible head wind at this speed, so I don't know how it would do.
I've towed up slight grades without losing much speed even at 65 MPH. The
only time I ever saw the temperature gauge rise is when I did a 65 MPH + run
on the NYS Thruway on a 85 degree day followed but a sudden stop to wait in
traffic at a toll booth. It didn't overheat, however. It heated up on a long
10 percent plus grade in the mountains where I was only able to go about 35
MPH. Still, it didn't overheat.  When the electric brakes are working right,
it stops very well too. This car probably weighs a bit over 4000 pounds, I
don't know.

I've also towed it with a 1973 Chrysler with a 440 cu. in. V8. I had no
trouble on our recent trip to Harper's Ferry WV, where we encountered many
long grades. I was able to cruise at 65 MPH even up some pretty steep
grades. This car WAS set up for towing. Unfortunately, it only gets about 10
MPG if I don't push it too hard. Passing trucks blasted by at over 80MPH but
I did NOT feel them go by at all. I'm VERY impressed with the way the Globe
Trotter tows. It has a Reese Dual Cam hitch. I've driven other brands of
trailers. You can always feel a headwind with some other trailer. With an
Airstream, I don't.

   We used  a 1992 Plymouth minivan with a 2.5 cu. in. 4 cylinder with a
5sp. manual transmission to tow 7 people, luggage and a (just over)1000
pound pop-up trailer to Montana and back. It worked very well though it was
slightly over it's rating (1000 pounds). We got 24 MPG towing. We drove just
under 65MPH most of the time. But ...We had NO extra power! Hills killed it.
On the level, it ran in 5th gear (overdrive) no problem.

Would your Toyota work?  I can't say. If it's level ground, I don't see why
not.. After all, I'm towing it with an antique car with a small (for it's
day) engine set up for economy, not power. I'd guess that the truck is set
up for hauling stuff. In any case, your truck is going to "die" in the
hills. I suppose that's okay if you don't mind going slow! On the level,
your Toyota might work fine. I have a friend that owns one and he always
brags about how much power the truck has. With 3400 pounds in tow, it's
gonna be a little sluggish!

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA
#15767