[VAC] Re: (VAC) Deadbolts

My '68 Caravel (http://www.tebra.net/~geraldj/caravel.htm) has a hasp
and lockable turn button. I think its ugly. But it is effective. My dad
tells of one time it was too effective. Wind slammed the door, and the
hasp flipped closed over the turn button. He couldn't attract the
attention of anyone else so he had to take out the bathroom screen at
the back and crawl out that window. I prevent that by turning the
locking turn button to the locked position as soon as I flip open the
hasp. Still its UGLY!!!! And steel against aluminum means a lot of
damage when rain water causes electrolytic corrosion.

I'd like to add a dead bolt, but the opening in the screen doesn't allow
room for it. To add complexity, the original lock face is inside the
thick aluminum door frame which requires a long bolt to reach the stop.

A Bargman L-400 motor home door lock, used in many contemporary motor
homes and trailers, has a dead bolt built in, but I've not found any
options for long bolts to fit in the Airstream door without drastic
modification to the door frame and skins.

I'll probably mount the lock I bought last month (Bargman L-100 with
long yoke) but since historically Bargman locks haven't used many
different keys, I'd like a more unique lock for keep the contents in my
Caravel.

33 Ford two door car doors were hinged at the rear. Fitted the suicide
rating. And very hard on a kid's fingers hanging onto the door post when
Pa closed the door.... I was that kid about 1948.

Gerald J.