[VAC] Re: Tires

My '68 manual says Caravel should have a 7.75-15 8 ply tire and all
larger should have 7.00-15 6 or 8 ply tires. I kind of recall that 6.70
converted to 7.75... My Caravel has F78-15 and with the trailing arms
essentially horizontal, there's not room for a (flattened) mouse carcass
to ride between the tire and the wheel well liner at the front edge.
Looks like I might wish a slightly smaller tire, new shocks (maybe with
gas for a little load raising) and should plan a trip to Ohio for an
axle rebuild.

I bought a set of steel belted bias ply tires once for a VW beetle. They
were the worst tires I've had on a vehicle. They would blow around with
any little breeze from the side, there was no ratio of rear to front
tire pressures that would cure that, they slid on damp roads, were
helpless in a couple inches of snow. I'll never buy such a tire
construction again.

Gerald