[VAC] Re: Mice - give it to me straight.

D-con is probably the biggest seller around here. D-con works because it is
an anti-coagulant. The mice bleed to death. I doubt that a cat would be
poisoned very badly by eating an affected mouse.
It does not say anything about this on the package; it only talks about pets
eating the bait itself.  If a cat ate an affected mouse, I imagine that the
worst thing that would happen would be that the cat could bleed longer if it
cuts itself  (increased Prothrombin time). In any event, if a pet eats some
of the bait, they say to give it vitamin K as an antidote. The active
ingredient in D-con is much like the blood thinners people take after a
heart attack (so I'm told).  A mouse that's been
poisoned by D-con becomes extremely thirsty because of internal bleeding and
will probably leave the trailer to seek water.  D-con is guaranteed by Good
Housekeeping (not that this fact will protect a pet).

I can't speak for any other brand of mouse poison, however. I would think
that a nerve poison would be so unsafe that it would hardly be legal. If
there is one, it  certainly
shouldn't use it around a living quarters.

MARC WEIMER