[VAC] Refrigerator problems

Glad to be back on the VAC list. I have a 1976 31' Sovereign that  I purchased in 6/00. Since that time I have completely gutted the inside and put it all back together again. New wood floors, drapes, plumbing, light covers screens and much more. The AC and refrigerator are original. Thanks to the help from the list a while back I was able to restore the AC after a good cleaning and general maintenance and it now works great. The refrigerator, a RM 100 model has worked fine since I got the trailer and I have always run it on the electric option.Since all of my trips are with hookups I was not concerned about the gas option. However on a recent trip the fridge just stopped working on electric. Thanks to Jim Dunmeyer who directed me to the web site for RV Mobile www.rvmobile.com I was able fine out everything you want to know about RV refrigerators. Well I followed their guidelines and although the "Piezo Lighter" did not work I was able to start the gas operation to the fridge from the outside compartment. Within hours the freezer was freezing and the lower unit was cooling, so it appears that the cooling unit is ok, but I have a either a electric heater are a wiring problem. Also, the gas thermostat does not seem to work properly and I am not able to regulate the temp in the lower unit and the temp is just above freezing.

My question is since I need to repair the electric heating problem I will also probably need to replace various other parts for both the electric and gas as well. Seeing that this is is a 25 year old unit, am I just spending good money that I should put toward a new fridge with the latest technology. Thanks for the input.