[VAC] Airstream book by Burkhart & Hunt

Yesterday I received my copy of Airstream: The History of the Land Yacht by
Bryan Burkhart, David Hunt, Chronicle Books, San Francisco, CA, 2000, very
nice book - Amazon.com price $17.95, good book - a must have.

Many of you have this book and have commented on it - but I feel it is
really a good history book.  Don't get upset yet.  One of the reviews on the
Amazon site for this book says "I was looking for something more about the
evolutionary history of the land yacht and the more common experiences of
their owners. Too bad - the book about Airstream is still to be written."
Someday someone will.

While I only "skimmed" the book for about 2 hours <grin> I would agree with
the reviewers comment, although I give the book 4 1/2 stars.  The comments
about the VAC came just on the last page as a BTW in passing comment.  So
much more has been done since the 70's on up to today where AS are now
spoken of as having "celebrity" appeal - in addition to just plain old
people appeal.  As time goes by the appeal grows and grows.

To me the VAC & Airstream.net are the going to be very important in seeing
that the future of Airstreaming is going to be bright as its past.  It's
incredible if it is true that  60% of all AS are still "on the road".

IMHO, being 49 years old, I think there is going to be a significant upsurge
in demand for the "classic" vintage and new AS's, and the future is going to
bring many new fans to the legions.

If Burkhart and/or Hunt are out there on these lists I hope there will be
more to come.  I do agree though that - the book about the Airstream is
still to be written...

Spencer
spncr@verinet.com