Re: [VAC] 1962 globetrotter

It cost me $19.75 per tank for new valve and labor to install for 30
gallon tanks two weeks ago. That included recertification.

I don't frequent Sam's but the last I looked at their batteries the
Ames, Iowa store had only the 6 volt version in that long slim package.
Its used in JD diesels in pairs since 1969. I needed the 12 volt version
for my 1968 gas JD, the same battery as used in some Airstreams. I
bought an Exide at a farm store.

When buying a battery off a shelf its beneficial to figure out the date
code scheme and to pick the most recent rather than the stock at the
front of the rack. Like produce, batteries age on the shelf and sellers
put the fresh stock at the back to sell the old stock first. We get
better battery life by buying the freshest. Storage batteries self
discharge and that slow self discharge can lead to large crystals of
lead sulfate that charge poorly or not at all.

Gerald J.