Re: [VAC] Jacobs ignition system

While the higher ratio axle gears do increase the revolutions per mile
and piston travel per mile in the engine, they reduce the torque
required from the engine and transmission for any given load and so I
suspect (and hope) that the effects for light loaded conditions
counterbalance each other. Rod bearing wear is going to be torque
related (and I'm not pleased with the Ford requirement for 5W30 oil, I
think its too thin to handle the pressure of high speed full load, I
will probably go to Rotella 15W40 as soon as the warrantee period is up)
and oil viscosity related. Turning the engine faster will allow more oil
to be pumped for cooling and more air to be pulled through the radiator
while the water pump is also more effective. I think getting the engine
out of the lugging (under 1500 RPM) range while cruising can only
improve its operation and longevity. Time will tell. Lower torque in the
drive line (clutch, transmission, universal joints) can only help its
longevity. Its not an improvement for the rear axles but they don't
break very often these days and I think the 1/2 ton trucks use the same
axles with any engine so when not using the largest engine, the axle
shafts are working conservatively.

Somebody said, "see how the 302 pulls at 4000 feet with the air
conditioner on..." I say turn that A/C off and the heater on to get more
heat out of the engine and see if it doesn't work better. Because of a
condensate leak into the cab, my A/C is disconnected and the truck runs
much nicer. I expect a significant increase in gas mileage. I may fix
the condensate leak some day.

Gerald J.