Re: [VAC] Towing - Sway Control

Gary,

I also had a friction pad type of sway controller on my trailer from my
original purchase (1993) until last summer (1999).  The controller was
already welded to the A-frame when I purchased the trailer.

I was speaking with some folks at the 1999 WBCCI International Rally in
Dayton about my dislike for the towability of my set-up and was questioned
about my sway controller.  The fella in particular that I was talking to was
George James II who used to author the 'By George' monthly technical
articles in the Blue Beret (which BTW, they were the best things that have
ever been in the Blue Beret IMHO).  He was very negative about this type of
sway controller.  Among the points that he was making were that once the
trailer does begin to sway then the friction pad prevents the trailer from
returning on course.  This was a definite problem that I had experienced.

Later at that same Rally I spoke with VACer Don Grayson who was presenting a
WBCCI seminar entitled "The Physics of Towing."  Don also came to similar,
and independent, conclusions about the use of the sway controller.

So, after I returned home from that Rally I cut the welded controller off of
my A-frame as well as the little ball off of my hitch.  I have now towed
about 20k to 25k miles without the controller and although still not
completely satisfied with my ride, am happier about the sway condition.  I
definitely see an improvement in terms of the trailer returning to the line
of travel without the controller as opposed to when the arm would resist it.

Just my experience and as I said, I am still not completely happy with the
towability of my system.  For the past couple of months I have been looking
at updating my leaf springs as the originals have settled although they
still are performing adequately.  I have visited Henschen as well as several
other trailer spring "authorities" (including MoRyde and Dexter as well as
two local houses) and am now considering the options.  It looks like I am
going to need to have springs custom made if I want a direct replacement ass
my springs are not available off the shelf.

(As an aside to previous comments, my tow vehicle weighs 7800 while there is
4350 on my trailer axle so the dog should be waving it's tail).

Tom Howarth

'53 Flying Cloud, VAC & WBCCI #6490
http://www.servintfree.net/wbcci-dc/