Re: [VAC] replacing exterior skin panels response.

Not sure what they were doing in the 40's but suspect not much different
then later.  On my '56 the front and rear panels are not riveted to the
innter panels as far as I know.  That would be inconsistent with how
airstreams are constructed.  If you want to double check I would suggest
you open  a panel from the inside - they are probably simple pop rivets -
far enough so you can view or probe the inside for any connecting braces,
etc.

Olympic rivets are installate similar to standard pop rivets and you  can
use the same rivet tool. However, Olympic rivets are constructed
differently in that when tightened up with the rivet tool several fingers
spread out (five I think) on the back side.  They  provide considerably
more holding power then pop rivets which simply expand or fatten the
inside end of the rivet.  The Olympic rivet shaft will, however, break
off about a1/4 of an inch from head.  Purpose here is to provide a piece
of the shaft onto which you apply a rivet head shaver which grinds down
the shaft to the head of rivet and creates the smooth, sealed rivet head
similar to existing exterior rivets.  The head shaver cost about $200 and
with the number of rivets you have to deal with you probably should have
one or find a dealer etc who will grind down the rivets after you have
installed them.  You can do olympic rivets with a small grinding tool,
such a s a Dremel tool but the final finish is not as neat  as rivet
heads tool can do and  may appear different then surrounding one.

Roy Lashway
'78 Argosy,'56 Bubble
rlashway@zianet.com