Re: [VAC] Air Cond for Dreamers details

Thanks again Dr J.  I guess you have not been to an International rally,
recently.  At the WBCCI International rallies, which are always held the
last week in June, scheduled to end on the 4th of July, because it was
Wally Byam's Birthday, it is always,...............Hot.   If you live in
the south or the Southwest, the summers are usually
,..............miserable.   I was born and raised in the hottest part of
the US.  Many days in June and July, temperatures of 118 degrees were
normal.   Usually every Christmas, we would go outside and play, in the
sun, with temperatures in the 70's.   Our movie theater, back in the
late forties, had Air Conditioning that would give you goose bumps.  The
early Air Conditioners in the 30's and 40's, were Ammonia type, gas
fired boilers, and the condensors were large cooling towers, with water
falling across the coils  to condense the ammonia and remove the heat.
I doubt any of the present ammonia type , refrigerator cooling units
could produce the needed cooling for an RV, which would be at minimum
8,000 btu, for a small coach.  The most simple and direct approach, of
course, is a gasoline 120 volt AC generator set.   Unfortunately, the
instant you fire up one of those noisy and stinky things, you are
summarily banned from parking with the other "sane", vintage folks.   As
a lark, I was thinking I could acquire a small 5000 btu Air Conditioner,
(600 watts), and run it on DC batteries, with invertor, for several
hours a day.   The International rallies, now provide everyone with
minimal, 3 amps of AC power, primarily to keep your DC batteries
charged.  There is usually a small cushion, but if someone gets a little
greedy, the breaker will kick out and your neighbors are angry.   I have
polished my coach, and the heat reflection is very good.   Fortunately,
the evenings in Bismarck this past June, were delightful, down into the
50's.   There must be a way to have cooling and "silence".   Thank you
Dr J., and thank you Jim and Phil and Walt Sandy, ............I guess
this "dream" is not quite ready for reality.

Bill Scott
61 Bambi, VAC & WBCCI #3221
1VP & Membership Chairman , WDCU
http://www.servintfree.net/wbcci-dc/