Re: [VAC] Air Cond for Dreamers details

True, I've not been to an international rally, but I live in the middle
of Iowa which has similar characteristics and this old farm house has no
air conditioning and a green roof to absorb solar heat quite well in the
summer time.

I do apply the techniques of drawing in cool air at night, then close up
for the day. 7' tall windows on the south side do tend to negate that
during a sunny day. I've lived here for 30 years. Need to build that
super insulated pad soon!

Air conditioning makes my hand and wrist joints hurt, has for about 50
years. They feel best when its warm, not air conditioned. Yet cool
weather doesn't make them hurt. The worst encounter I ever had with air
conditioning was drilling a 1" diameter hole through a 18" thick brick
wall with hammer and star drill. I started on the air conditioned side
(in St. Louis in July) then since the star drill was only 12" long I
picked up my 3 pound hammer and star drill and went to the adjacent
office (the hole was for wiring to install an air conditioner) and in
the un air conditioned hallway it felt like someone was hitting me on
the head with that hammer. I finished the hole after resting a couple
hours becoming accustomed to the heat again. I've not liked air
conditioning ever since.

Its sure that an absorption unit will be quieter than an engine powered
unit, though the domestic natural gas engine powered air conditioners
must be as quiet as their electrically powered counterparts. Still noisy
in a quiet boonie's campground.

And one thing I notice, the use of isolated air conditioning, whether
camper, house, or automobile adds heat to the environment outside those
units which warms where I am. I remain to be convinced that I need or
enjoy that extra heat.

I suspect an old large sized absorption refrigerator would supply the
parts for a 2000 or 3000 BTU air conditioner that would be silent except
for the fans that probably would make it more effective. With enough
care in insulation and solar gain that might cool an Airstream.

Since air conditioning is very energy intensive, I don't think batteries
and solar panels will do it. Using some other clean fuel, such as
propane, will be far more practical.

Gerald J.