Re: [VAC] hello and some questions from a soon to be airstream owner

Michael,
 Check the tires carefully for dry rot and (especially!) proper
inflation. They should be about 50 PSI. If there's no serious cracks,
I'd probably tow it, IF I was on back roads, not the freeways.

You really should pull the wheels and check the bearings, but you could
just jack up the wheels and spin 'em. Listen that they sound smooth, no
rumbles or clunking. While you're at it, pull the little bearing dust
caps and cotter pins so you can check bearing preload. Using your
fingers or a small channel-locks, you should not be able to tighten the
nuts to the next slot in the castle slots. If there's enough slop that
you can easily get more than one slot, I'd definitely pull the wheels
and clean & repack wheel bearings. You could check and repair/rebuild
the brakes while you're in there, it won't add much time.

You're going to have to go to the store for new inner bearing seals, so
you can get brake parts while you're there.

                                       <<Jim>>