Re: [VAC] Towing, hitches, safety

We were coming back into NY from a trip to Idaho two years ago.  Chevy
Suburban towing 22' A/S Safari (1966 dry wt about 3300).  4 lane freeway, we
were on the right at about 55 mph.  A jeep was passing us quite fast.
Suddenly he slammed on the brakes.  As we began to pull past him, I saw that
he had braked for a deer that had jumped out from the median.  The jeep had
obscured my view of the deer, and now he was bounding right at us.  By that
time, we had partially passed the deer, and he either couldn't stop, or felt
he could leap between the car and trailer.  Slammed into the front left panel
of the trailer.  That impact caused quite a bit of fishtailing, left a
foot-deep cave in the trailer panel, about 3 feet wide.  I pumped the brakes
lightly and got the fishtailing under control quickly...although it was
definitely a white knuckle moment.  We were not going fast for the road...if
we'd been doing 65 it would have been much worse, I'm sure.  In
retrospect...I'm glad I had a 6000 lb tow vehicle.  Maybe it's things like
that that make me a pest on this subject, but I don't think a significantly
lighter and/or shorter vehicle would have been able to control the sway like
that.  We might have ended up going down the shoulder embankment.  Also glad
we had a factory installed heavy duty hitch receiver, top quality Reese hitch
with load leveling bars, good tires and brakes, and trailer brakes properly
adjusted.  My nagging advice is, don't plan on what you think towing will be
like, or where you think you'll be going.  Plans and conditions change
unexpectedly.  Plan on having plenty of overkill in the tow vehicle and
hitch.  And, as others have said, take it slow (but not so slow as to cause
traffic problems).  You'll have more fun if you feel more secure on the road.

BTW, got the panel replaced by Steve Ruth & Co. in Ohio, mentioned in earlier
posts.  Great work!

John
jixix@aol.com