[VAC] Amonia cycle refrigerators.

I have a 61 a/s with original old style Dometic refrigerator, it works
great. There are 3 other trailers belonging to family members, 2- 74 Argosys
and a 72 a/s with original refrigerators that work fine. It has always been
a big thing to not run the refrig. off level. I have heard Bill as well as
others say that an amonia type refrig. will only last 10 years or so. Are
people using them off level, or what is causing this. Another thing I have
heard is that you should leave these units running all of the time. The
units mentioned above were not left running when the trailers were in
storage. I would like to know other thoughts and experiences on this
subject.   Phil