Re: [VAC] Frig Flue

Steve, there are two frig flues.   I think Charlie was referring to the
flue just above the burner with the spiral baffle hanging in it.  Others
were referring to the Chimney that helps exit the heated air from the
frig area.    The Chimney has a tendency to attract mud daubers, and
spiders and birds nests.   That can be cleaned with a small broom.   If
this is the original 1974 Dometic, consider yourself lucky it works at
all.  26 years is a long time for one of those old Electrolux, made in
Sweden, gas/electric, ammonia pumpers.  They begin to lose efficiency
after 12 years.   I'm surprised it works, at all.   You have a couple of
choices, 1) buy a new one.  2)  Pull the old one and have the
boiler/evaporator/condensor re-built.  Some people are happy with the
rebuilt friges, the cost is around $600.  I would prefer a new one, even
if they are around $900 to $1200 installed.   The newer ones are better
insulated, and they seem to work better even if they are slightly off
level.   Sometimes running it off level, has caused the ammonium
chromate to boil out of solution and cake on to the interior of the
coils which then stop the whole process.  At this point with a 26 year
old box,  it is almost time for the last rites.  Don't spend too much
trying to revive that old horse.

Bill Scott
61 Bambi, VAC & WBCCI #3221
1VP & Membership Chairman , WDCU