[VAC] hello...

Hello,
     I've just become interested in an older airstream trailer and have a few questions.
     First, I should introduce myself: My name is Charles Morrill and I live in Charlottesville, Virginia with my wife, Carol, and our two children, Max, 10, and Sara, 8. We've been trying to think about how we might take a drive across country in a couple of years and thought about renting a motor home, but it seems to me that such an adventure could cost upwards of $5,000 for three weeks.
     Good grief.
     So for a lark I decided to look at used airstream trailers, always wanted one, and am flabergasted to find older ones aren't that expensive...
     Yet.
     Since I'm something of a welder, wood machinist, cabinetmaker, sheet metal kind of guy, it looks like something I might be able to handle.
     My questions:
     1) What's the smallest trailer you can fit a family like mine into for a few years?
     2) Will a half-ton pick up pull it?
     2) Where can I find old airstream floorplans?
     3) Airstream trailers are absolutely cool - the situation in older airstream prices reminds me where cessna 152s, e-jags, MG-TDs, antique music boxes, Pontiac GTOs, Edison phonographs, and Mickey Mantle baseball cards used to be when I was a kid. It's just going to take one good Hollywood movie picturing somebody macho in an airstream and look out. Before you know it, they'll start showing up in retro clothing stores...but I digress.

Thanks for your help, Chas