[VAC] plumbing

I am trying to redo the plumbing in my as but it is a total mis-mash of
parts. Nothing fits. I have some quest and some copper tube. The copper tube
going to the sink is to very slightly different sizes. one barely fits a 3/8
flair nut. the other not at all, but it is two small for a 1/2 flare I tried
quest fittings and had the same problem I have 3 sizes of copper tube and
only one seems to be a standard size, and then not really. What a joke. I am
so mad I could eat tacks. I have never encountered anything like it before.
I am tempted to put the Mickey mouse arrangement of  plastic and vinyl
tubing and hose clamps back in.
Ron