[VAC] Thetford repair

I now have the new floor under the toilet area of my 66 Overlander installed
and started to inspect the toilet. It needs all new seals etc. My problem
now is the 5 slotted screws that held the metal plate directly onto the
bottom of the bowel. They just kept turning so I cut the heads off to get
the plate off. I now can see that the screws are held in by what apears to
be rubber plugs, but I not sure how to get them out. I tried just pulling
thinking they may  come out without the plate in place to make them
mushroom, not so easy. Should I pull harder, maybe put oil in and pull again
or is there some other way? I don't want to break anything.

Phil Piper