Re: [VAC] Grote lights

I've been working on my Caravel's marker lights. All the marker lights
are Grotelite model 234. All but one of the lenses are Grotelite model
233. One (more flat, not a double wedge) that fit the Grotelite base is
a Bargman. I didn't make note of the number.

I don't have any more marker lights lit now, than I did before... The
problem in all of them (even those that are lit are not full brilliance)
is the ground is supplied through a pop rivet and washer. The pop rivet
is grounded solidly but there almost no pressure on the aluminum washer.
This connection is depending on squeezing metals together through a
plastic. That was not an approved technique even with hard plastics at
Collins Radio 37 years ago... I think I'll work up a more robust
technique that might meet Collins Radio standards and as a consequence
not need repair every trip... Seems to me that I want to remove the
rivets and loosen the fixture. Then I want do drill another hole in the
fixture base to pass a second stranded wire pigtail which I can solder
to the brass ground strap. Then under the fixture base (presuming its
hollow) I can use an aluminum self tapping screw with stainless steel
star lock washer to ground a wire lug crimped to that ground wire
(crimped with a surplus mil spec ratchet crimper) to a new hole in the
shell of the Caravel. I was thinking that maybe I'd just drill out the
rivet at the grounded end and replace it with a larger self tapping
screw and lock washer, preferably stainless steel or aluminum, but that
still makes the ground dependent on squeezing plastic. Sure I can go pop
the lenses off and tighten the screw each trip, but I think the pigtail
will be a significant improvement.

I made one other problem. I took the license plate fixture apart. It was
a mass of rust and the lamp collapsed in my fingers when I tried to
remove it. The base is permanently rusted to the socket. I unbolted the
base and pulled on the wire, but the connection broke off in the wall. I
may have to open up the wire hole to something big enough to get my long
nose pliers through to fish out that wire. Its sure I need a new fixture
there.

As long as I'm fishing for wires in the back, I've wondered about adding
a third brake light in the back window. Might be a useful safety item...
Might be a really huge pain to wire without taking the bath out too.
Though maybe the stop/turn lamp fixtures could be unriveted from their
castings to get wiring access for both tasks in the back wall.

Gerald J.