[VAC] Vents, should I go with the skylight effect or just put the replacement cover on.

Streamer's,

    I removed the front most vent from the roof yesterday. Once I was up
there I noticed that the thing had a double layer of plastic installed,
the outside was fractured and missing in a couple of spots, while the
inside piece was only cracked. I'm convinced that this is where the
water leak was coming from, because when I took down the lamp cover, it
had a puddle of water in it from the previous night's shower. There was
no sign of anything wet because the amount of water did not exceed the
amount that the lamp cover could hold. I would imagine that the cover is
what saved things from going really rotten by acting as a place for the
water to evaporate (next to the ceiling in an enclosed vehicle in the
sun) and not harm the other items inside of the trailer. I suspect that
the telltale signs of leaking are from those times when the water got
above the rim of the lamp cover.

    When I bought the trailer there were two aluminum new vent covers,
and one translucent version that came with it. The two aluminum versions
do not have the skylight option in them, just a solid aluminum top with
an insulating sheet of plastic. Query, should I just replace the old
cover with the newer covers without the skylight cut into them (easiest)
or can someone talk me into cutting the new or repairing the old covers
with new plastic covers (slightly harder, and most likely much more time
consuming than I envision). I'm going to check out materials on
Wednesday at the local plastics dealer.

    On a separate note, does anyone have dimensions for Fluorescent
lights that might fit into these three-way switch designs of the ceiling
lights/fans. I noticed that two of the three fans go on automatically
when the vent is raised, I haven't checked the third for power, but I
believe that it might have a bad switch, is there an override switch for
this function somewhere? I still have not figured out a use for one of
the wall switches just to the right of the door as you go in. One worked
the counter light over the sink, but the other doesn't seem to do
anything, I don't even notice a dimming of anything when it is switched.
There are some fluorescent lights behind a valance around the lounge
area that I have not been able to light yet, But I do detect a faint
click from what I think might be a ballast when I flick the switch up
under the overhead shelf in front. Could the other wall switch by the
door be for these lights. Everything I have described I've been able to
find in the Users Manual, except for the two wall switches by the door.

Thanks.

Going out to take check the wiring on that fan.

--

Bob Basques

'73 Excella 500, 31'