Re: [VAC] Re: V10 Dodge as tow vehicle

My '98 F-150 has the 4.6 L small V-8. It was rated at only 2200 pounds
towing with the 3.08 axle and 5 speed manual transmission. Based on
relative thrust for starting the complete rig, truck and trailer, the
4.10 axle computes out to 4700 pounds towing capability. I've not yet
hitched the Caravel, but its certain that the 4.10 makes it drive very
nice unloaded (have to be a little careful about full throttle
acceleration in traffic in second gear...) and the gas mileage seems to
be unchanged at a round 16.3 mpg unloaded. It doesn't have the first
gear thrust of my old 302 and Warner T-18 but then I pulled 7000 pound
loads with that truck. The way it drives unloaded, I expect the Caravel
to be a comfortable load. I will find out by next weekend.

If the 4.10 doesn't prove to be a high enough ratio for this engine, I
can get to the equivalent of a 4.56 ratio by changing the rear tires
from 29.1" outside diameter (265-70R16) to 26" outside diameter
(225-50R16 or 235-45R16) which by my computation adds enough thrust for
another 1000 pounds of trailer.

Gerald J.