[VAC] Battery box

My aluminum box was shot, too, and I'm going to have a new one fabricated
from light gauge stainless steel. Don't know the cost, but visit a sheet
metal fabricator or two, take your old box along.
You may get a better price from a small shop, possibly a sole proprietor
working alone. Or try a heating/air-conditioning man. He may use a sheet
metal person who would take on a small job and not charge you an arm and a
leg. You might also save $$$ by providing the raw material, which is often
available at metal salvage yards at far below new cost, although the
material may be new,  just a "drop" from a larger sheet.
If you provide the material, be clear with your fabricator about the
thickness of the material, since the gauge of stainless steel is critical if
he's working with light duty forming equipment typically used by residential
HVAC shops.
Of course you could go with aluminum again, and try coating the interior of
the box with something (??) impervious to battery acid. Maybe spray-on
rubber undercoating, with a sheet of rubber underneath the battery?

Bob Harper
'62 Globe Trotter in SC