Re: [VAC] And the Parts list begins

Title: Re: [VAC] And the Parts list begins
Hi Roy,

I've never searched for a long, rectangular cover. If the two opening mechanisms allow the entire cover to rise equally on both sides and without one side tilting, I'd be inclined to use it that way in the rain. If it's open just enough to be open but not enough to see more than an inch of daylight around the perimeter, rain may not be an issue. If the other two tilt when open, then one of the Lindeen caps could be very useful on hot, humid, muggy, rainy days.

As for which cap (not cover) fits the Airstream, I believe the part number is 200 and it comes in smoke or white. Their email address is sales@lindeen.com if you want to discuss any special needs.

Some time ago, there was discussion of the list about asking Lindeen to fabricate a cover (not cap) to fit the rectangular opening. I never heard what came of that. In a pinch, any welder can copy your rectangular cover size and configuration, but instead of putting a solid piece of aluminum across it, he could make just the aluminum frame. Your local glass shop has a variety of materials that could be attached to the frame. It wouldn't be the first time a welder and a glass shop owner worked together on a small project.

As for the plastic latches that keep the overhead cabinets closed, I got 12 of them at the factory store three years ago. My old ones were brittle and starting to break. I saved two of the old ones that hadn't broken for samples when next I need to find more.

If the factory doesn't stock them anymore (Charlie would know), then you might want to start going on WBCCI caravans. Caravan mechanics often carry such items in their stock. The mechanics are willing to sell them to others on their caravan because part of their goal to make the trip trouble free for caravaners.

Terry