Re: [VAC] And the Parts list begins

Title: Re: [VAC] And the Parts list begins
Hey Bobb,

Congratulations on what should become a very nice vehicle for you. Your posting (rlb) mentioned several ideas that prompt a reply (tct).

(rlb) "Most of the bulbs inside are out of commission, so I'll need to get new ones before testing things."

(tct) Why bother with a lot of bulbs? One is enough to determine if you have power (or use your tester). That's all you need to know before you change over to fluorescents. You have the makings of a really comfortable Airstream, so why not upgrade the lighting system and get more benefit from your batteries?

(rlb) "I did notice that I've got the thermal pane windows, supposedly this thing will hold its own down to -10 degrees."

(tct) It's true thermal pane windows help keep the inside warmer in cold weather and cooler in warm weather. An Airstream with thermal pane windows might encourage you to start RVing sooner and finish later in the season. We have those windows on our '77 31' and have "wintered" at 26 degrees using the catalytic heater and occasionally, the forced air furnace.

The weakest link in the whole thing is "that one little place under the belly skin" where the water line cannot be kept above 32 degrees. What I do know is that particular place (wherever it is in our Airstream) stays above 32 degrees when overnight temperatures dip to 26 degrees for just a short time before rising above 32 degrees during the daytime. I don't plan to do any more testing (intentionally). You may have that honor. We skedaddle for warmer climes whenever the weather forecasters call for freezing temperatures overnight.

(rlb) "I noticed that I've got some air vent covers, the ones up on the roof, that have an opaque looking plastic that has fractured and broken apart on all of them. When I picked up my used trailer there were three new all aluminum vent covers that came with it.  I would however like to retain the skylight effect with the vents just as they are. Should I be trying to fix the old ones, or modify the new ones for this purpose."

(tct) Bobb, by all means replace the plastic. Use the new vent covers as umbrellas until you are ready to do the job (and while doing the job). The plastic is fractured and broken not from age, but from hail stones. There's a web site (www.lindeen.com) where they sell new vent covers. The upside is they are made of kevlar (a la bullet proof vents), but the down side is they are not cheap. They also sell vent caps (as differentiated from covers) made of kevlar. The upside is this means the vent covers may be left open during rain storms, but the down side is they are not cheap.

The "work around" for products that aren't cheap is to attend the yearly WBCCI International Convention where a massive Airstream flea market is held. Thousands of things like this and all manner of Airstream OEM parts are available by owners who are "cleaning house" of stuff from their garage. Prices are usually 25 cents or less on the dollar (in comparison to new) and much less during the last half hour of the sale. All year long, I put $20 bills in a sock so I can become a "big spender" at this flea market.

(rlb) "Related to the first question, what's the best way to work on the roofs of these things with out buckling in the roof? Anyone ever thought about putting some (permanent) walk ways up on both sides a la a tanker trailer that could be mounted level for walking (and maybe even mounting) on the roof."

(tct) What I do is distribute my body (5'10"-150#) primarily on the Airstream's ribs. I can do most roof job while laying on my stomach or sprawled out on my side. It's so seldom this is necessary, I've never considered anything more exotic. While you are up there, clean the pine needles out from under the fridge vent, get rid of any clumps of sap and chip off the cracked caulking before laying down new caulking.

(rlb) "I've been fiddling with things some in the trailer, like the dishwasher thingy (can't remember the name right now) with the automatic soap dispenser. Well I took the cover off to see inside of the hopper that holds the soap and noticed some cracks in the plastic, well I touched it and it just about crumpled into my fingers the plastic was so deteriorated. Can these soap reservoir's be replaced?"

(tct) Ask Charlie Burke (burke@micron.net) if that part is still available at the Airstream factory. He works for American Way RV Center (Airstream dealer) in Boise, Idaho. When I asked him about a broken lock cylinder, he knew they were available through the factory and had one sent to me. Two other Airstream dealers didn't know replacement lock cylinders existed. I think of Charlie and American Way RV Center like a Mom and Pop business (knowledgeable and competent). You asked several other questions about the availability of specific parts. I'd go to the same source with those questions.

(rlb) "Should I be thinking about refurbishing the interior or just gutting it? What would be better for retaining value? The interior is very complete. I even got the two folding cane back chairs that came with the trailer. I forgot the crystal chandelier in the sellers garage though. ('73 31' Excella)

(tct) If it was me, I'd turn Mr. Clean loose and simultaneously fix all the mechanical stuff inside (including checking for soft spots on the floor while the carpet is out). After it has passed a white glove inspection, I'd go whole hog on refurbishing it. You haven't mentioned anything yet to throw a wet wash cloth on turning this Airstream into a really comfortable vehicle. Instead, it sounds like there's been a caring history behind it, followed by a period of inactivity. With you as Chief Restorer, I'd say, "Go for it with gusto."

But, what do I know? I haven't even seen it,

Terry