Re: [VAC] Tail Droop

Title: Re: [VAC] Tail Droop
Noah, more data is needed before that question can be answered. How long is the Argosy? If 27' or longer and it had a previous owner who put heavy items in back or attached anything to the rear bumper, then maybe, the answer is yes.

There was one difference in materials used when Argosy's were built which may have provided greater structural strength for the Argosys. The end caps were not always aluminum, although some were (the ones with flaws that would not look good unless painted). The majority of end caps were made from steel.

As for characterizing frame separation as the "dreaded tail droop," that's misleading (in my opinion). The "fix" is simple for a welder who has read the factory recommendation and the cost is nominal for the added lifespan this repair gives the trailer. I have opened more than one Airstream's underbelly, found the problem, had it welded (and the other side that didn't need to be fixed YET), put it all back together and never had another need to return for more welding. A welded fix is fixed for the rest of MY LIFE and there are no ifs, ands or buts about it. Once done, I've been able to go on to other restoration jobs and not return to this one.

There are other repair jobs that take more time, cost more money, provide more frustration and seem to be unending, i.e. elusive water leaks, floor rot spots missed the first time repairs were done which required a second disassembling of cabinets and removal of tile or carpet to gain access for another repair, damage and health concerns caused by mice/birds and other critters, and the list goes on.

Why do I mention this? It seems to me (again, in my opinion), any family who wants an Argosy or Airstream with the back bath and who likes everything else about that trailer (except the symptoms of a frame problem) will be doing themselves a big disservice if they discard that vehicle because of a simple frame problem.

Huh? I can't believe I'm saying all this. Must be my week to give everyone a chance to take potshots at my recollection of Argosy history.

Terry