Re: [VAC] Battery Overcharging

Bob,
 The UniVolt supplies a small charging current that is not real
well-regulated. It won't charge a run-down battery in any reasonable
time, yet will overcharge the battery if it's connected to shore power
all the time. I don't think I'd disconnect the battery, as it performs
the important function of voltage regulation.

One of the best chargers is the StatPower, found at
http://www.statpower.com. It's a 3-stage outfit that will treat your
battery with kindness.

All of that said, if you watch the battery water closely, don't leave
the UniVolt powered up during long periods of non-use, and don't run
your battery down too far when you're not 'plugged in', you'll probably
get 3 or 4 years of use out of it. They don't last forever even if
treated kindly.

                                 <<Jim>>