Re: [VAC] greetings/fulltiming

I've read all the posts to this thread.  Thanks for the apology Vanessa  I
also feel much the same way as Roger.

Jim, everyone has different reasons for camping, 5th wheeling, RVing, or
Fulltiming.  Personally, I've chuckled to myself when I hear people say
they're roughing it for a week-end and you see them at a KOA campground in
their traveling $250,000 estate,  satellite dish, big screen TV, indoor
sauna/hot tub,surround sound stereo etc.  To me "roughing it" was a lean to,
an axe, waterproof firestarter, a knife, Dutch oven..you get the picture.
Whatever makes a person happiest and fulfills their needs is what you should
opt for and enjoy.  A year ago I moved out of my house of 13 years and into
an 26' Overlander with my other half (RSmith) and we became fulltimers.  The
house I left behind's living room was 847 square feet alone.  It was packed
to the brim with all kinds of furnishings and a life time full of
"stuff".....and that's just what it was..."stuff".  The things that I
absolutely couldn't part with I put in storage where I can always go  visit
it and take a walk down memory lane if need be.

When a person decides to become a fulltimer they learn many things, one
being that the measure of a person isn't always gauged by the amount/quality
of the possessions they have.  It's more about "spirit"......and a lot of
that "spirit" is sometimes found in the "itchy feet" syndrome, that feeling
of not wanting to be tied down to one place, that adventure, that inner
explorer, that "freedom".  Being able to pick up and go whenever the
"spirit" moves you  without having to worry about such things as
selling/subletting a house, turning off utilities, etc, so forth, and so on.
Fulltiming...... if you don't like the scenery..move your trailer....you
don't like the neighbors....move your trailer....don't like the
neighborhood, move your trailer.  If you find just the right spot..stay..a
week, a month, a year it doesn't matter.

Funny thing, my boss made a comment to me just last week about how she
couldn't se how Ralph and I could live in such a small space (as well as a
teenage son)..she thought we'd feel all cramped and trip over each other.
Actually, I suppose if you had tendencies toward claustrophobia you
shouldn't live in one...but I explained it wasn't like that for us.  We both
are working massive hours in our future goal of early retirement, so we
aren't actually home that much.  It's more like a place to rest and regroup
during the week.  On the week-ends we try hard to be out and about exploring
as much as possible....and we've always got our eyes peeled for places we
could take the AS  or even the smaller 20 ft Globetrotter for the week-end
head for the hills/woods.

So..it's really about different strokes for different folks.  The upkeep and
maintenance of a huge house, property taxes, etc seem to me a much bigger
burden..labor wise, financially, the whole nine yards..so restoring a
vintage Airstream that we can take anywhere when the mood strikes us suites
me much much better.  Our home is on wheels, and people can think what they
like, their "spirit" isn't on the same plain as mine, that's all. So you can
enjoy the way you want to do your trailering life, and others can do it the
way they want.  Having a melting pot of people, lifestyles, trailers , is
what makes this life so interesting and such a learning experience..and an
ADVENTURE.