Re: [VAC] Re: 73 Overlander, No gray water tank.

I found a "solution" to the lack of a gray water tank  in my "66 Overlander. I
use my a/s a lot at my wife's horse shows, which have limited or no hookups. I
bought one of those blue, roll about tanks at Camping World, but instead of
placing it on the ground out back of the single drain pipe, I bought another
Thedford cap, and attached a 12 V. aerator "bait well"  pump through the cap
with a 3/4" hose. I placed the rolling tank in the back of my pickup with one of
those expandable bars to keep it from rolling around, attaching the 3/4" hose to
it, with the other end attached to the Thedford drain cap/pump (keep the black
water valve closed). I rigged up a switch for power to the aerator pump when
using the water/shower.  If one (my wife) forgets to turn on the aerator pump,
the water backs up into the tub for a reminder.  The aerator pump was sufficient
enough to keep up with the running hooked up water source to pump the gray water
up into the blue tank, so dry docking would not be a problem. When the tank
filled, I was able to drive to a dump site and easily empty the 30 gallon tank.
Simply extend the handle and roll the tank to the back of the pickup bed, attach
the drain hose, OPEN THE VENT CAP ON THE BLUE TANK and let it rip, or as I
learned, once the drain valve is opened, the force of the draining water will
calapse the tank without the vent open. I kept the black water tank strictly for
its intended purpose. This worked fine. These 12 V pumps can be purchased at any
marine or fishing  store for under $30,  and the caps are cheap as well. The
biggest cost was the 3/4"  50' hose unless one has a spare..I have considered
anchoring the portable tank under one of the center twin bunks (over the axle to
avoid rear sag) and pumping gray water there, adding a drain pipe back to the
rear drain, but the mobile solution has worked to date, and my wife is happy
with her long, hot showers (I can say, "sure, take a 30 gallon shower but you
empty it").
I found the 30 gallon tank lasted almost 5 days before filling with careful use
of water.
This eliminates the problem of wrestling with a full, portable gray water tank,
so one can say "yes" when asked 'do you have storage for gray/black water'.
If one needs to pump black water as well, one could substitute a macerator pump
for the aerator pump, but at added cost.
Randy Unter
'66 International Overlander
Denver, Colorado