[VAC] Trimming Olympic rivets/recessed centers

I have removed, reversed, and re-installed the rear under-window panel , and used the Olympic rivets (with rubber washer) in a standard pop riveting tool. On about half of them, the center stem broke off below the surface of the rivet head (dome). Is this typical? They won't look right with a dark center, and I doubt if any filler will look right. Am I doing something wrong? I'm doing a steady, straight squeeze on the tool when installing. Some are only 1/32" or so recessed, others are 1/16" or more. Even without the rubber washer under the head, 1/4 of these would be below the dome.

For the rivets with the stem broken off above the surface (like it should be), I've been using a 100 grit 2" disc on rubber mount (1/4" shaft) in a cordless drill, at slow speed, to flush the stem to the head. I made a small "mask" to protect the panel and rivet dome, using a small piece of 1/16" thick aluminum sheet. I cut a piece about 3" x 6" and drilled a hole (3/8" I think) centered across the 3" but offset towards one end (about 1 1/2" from end). Deburr edges and soften corners also. I hold it over the rivet head with my left hand while grinding the stem down with the drill in my right, slowing down as I get close to flush. The mask prevents scarring the panel or roughing up the rivet head. Intend to wet sand heads lightly with about 400 grit after that (using same mask), and hopefully polishing will finish them up. Seems pretty easy, and avoids the need to spend $175 on a rivet trimming tool.

Bob Harper
'62 Globetrotter in SC