Re: [VAC] Before I reinact the Hindenburg using an A/S....

Bill Brackett wrote:

> Had same problem over a year and a half ago.

Hi Bill and others,

Good news from the front.  The water heater and furnace are working
tonight.  I read Jim Dunmeyers words (they usually inspire me to try what I
might normally wouldn't)  and I took the gas valve and burner out of my
Suburban furnace.

First, I found a rodent condo.  Filled with insulation and twigs and stuff,
it took a vac to clean it all out.  I pulled the gas valve assy apart to
look for a "chunk of crud" as Jim said, and only found modest normal
soiling, no real crud.  The cork gasket fell apart during removal, oops.  I
called my residential gas co, and spoke to the service dept looking for a
suggestion regarding which goop I could use to reseal the assy.  I got lots
and lots of legalese... they would NOT tell me!  He kept telling me to throw
it away and get a new one, with lines like "how much is your child
worth?"... I'm a softy,  so I approached him from the sensible side, and
asked hypothetical questions, and got very good hypothetical answers.  Phew.

Finally, I cleaned with a little brake cleaner on a rag (non flammable sort)
and used 600 paper to clean the alum edges of the housing and sealed with
blue RTV sealant at his hypo. suggestion.

It works just fine.  I'm happy, but will install a carbon mono detector just
the same, and will always keep a watchful eye.

Thanks all !

Chris Thompson