Re: [VAC] hello and question

Greetings Jackie!

When I was a "newbie", I fell for the line that a smaller, single axle
trailer (18' box type) would be easier to tow.  After all of the problems
with that trailer, I surprised all of my family with the purchase of an
Airstream Overlander (26' tandem axle).  I wholehartedly agree with your
intuitive preference for a tandem axle - - my Overlander is one of the
easiest towing, most well-behaved trailers that I have towed.  The only
problem with the over 25' length is that you may be excluded from some
caravans due to the length and from some campgrounds where 24' or 25' is
the maximum length accepted.  You may also want to check with your local
codes office as to the restrictions, if any, that are placed on storing
your Airstream at your residence.

One of your biggest considerations may be obtaining a suitable tow vehicle
for the larger trailers.  For a 24', you'll likely need at least 5,000
pounds of trailer towing capacity.  My 26' Overlander weighs in at about
6,000 pounds when ready for a vacation.

Good luck with your decision!