[VAC] hello and question

Hello -
I'm new to the list, and I thought I would introduce myself and ask a
question. First, I do not yet have an airstream - but I am looking for one. I
am enjoying the interaction on both the airstream and vintage lists!

We are looking for an airstream from the 60's or 70's. After doing some
preliminary research, I decided that we should stick with the 23-24 foot
range. I've never towed anything in my life, and I'm a little worried about
the managability of a larger trailer (someone told me that 24' is some magic
cut-off for ease of towing :-). Also, I think I'd like a dual axle, for
safety reasons... And it seems like I need to go to the 24' range to get dual
axles.  On the other hand, we have come across 27' trailer.  Based on all
this info, can anyone advise me on this? Is there a big difference in towing
a 27' vs 24' (a whole 3 feet!)? Are there any big advantages comfort-wise of
one over the other? Note that we don't yet have a tow vehicle, so we will try
to find one that will suit the trailer.
    As you can tell, I'm pretty new to this -- and I'd really appreciate any
input.
Thank you -
Jackie