Re: [VAC] Polishing w/DeWalt/sponge buffer pad

DSK:

I used a DeWalt Model#849 -- variable speed grinder/polisher.  It can be
dialed up to 4000 rpm, which is more power than needed for the job...I went
up to 1500-1700, max.  At least you know you aren't taxing the thing when you
use it.  I got it at a local auto paint/body supply store for about $250   --
on sale from $350! -- but you can find an even lower price if you look around
(I kinda made an impulse buy).

I went to the same store for the pads.  Actually, I did not use the 3M pads,
but a cheaper "generic equivalent" that was recommended to me by the store
salesperson.  It is listed as a "yellow cutting waffle pad" on my invoice,
cost $11.79.  The 3M pad was identical, with a dimpled, waffle surface and
threading on the back for screwing onto the machine.

I used one pad to do one side, two stages, of my 22' trailer -- remember, our
Rolite package requires three stages of polish -- and it was still going
strong.  The fabric pads didn't hold up nearly as well, and they kept
slipping on the polisher.  Since the foam pads screwed directly onto the
spindle, there was no pad slippage and it spun consistently.  Beware, however
-- the foam is much less forgiving than the fabric pad when you "catch" an
edge during polishing -- you will see what I mean.  Hold on tight when you
catch the pad on something like the rain channels above the windows, because
the polisher can really kick violently out of your hand!

I would guesstimate at least 5 pads for a 27' , one for each type of polish
used, plus a couple extra as needed.  I don't know if the pads come in
various thicknesses or degrees of firmness like the fabric pads, maybe
someone else on the list can speak to that.  Perhaps that can improve your
results.  But the sponge was generally much firmer than the fabric pad, which
I imagine contributed to its superior cutting power.

If there are inherent problems with using foam pads, perhaps someone on this
list can advise.  The only thing I can imagine is that is may be a little
easier to burn the skin if you leave the unit polishing in one area too long.
 The foam just seemed so much more effective and cleaner -- two VERY
important considerations when doing this job.  If I had to do it all over
again, I would have used them from the beginning.  The "sponge" side looks
just as good as the "fabric" side, and it was a lot easier to accomplish.
And of course, on a project like this, easier is better.

Hope this helps,
Jon