Re: [VAC] Wet & Wild!

Hi Bob Kiger,
You asked, "Do you personally own four Airstreams?"

Yes. We did a complete restoration of one (the 1977 31' Excella 500) long before there was a VAC and
we just couldn't bear to sell it. It has a southwest interior that pleases us immensely. Our plan is
to take it as our "winter quarters" this Fall when we continue exploring Colorado, New Mexico and
Arizona. Like all our Airstreams, there are more refinements being added and revisions being made.
Sandie tells me our Airstreams are "evolving" all the time.

When the second one (1986 32') was offered to us with a 100% unconditional guarantee for one year on
everything - just as Sandie and I were about to leave as Leaders of our caravan from the Hot Air
Balloon Festival in New York to the Hot Air Balloon Fiesta in New Mexico, we bought it and left with
it several days later. We have taken it through parts of Mexico (21 of 32 states) including the
Baja. Most recently, we used it last winter while continuing our search for obscure garden spots in
Florida. This summer, the cleaning man (me) will be going over it from stem to stern to get rid of
Florida's mold, mildew and other creepy crawly things that find a way to inhabit  everything made by
man.

The third one (1967 22') came to us when a friend died and his wife said her husband always hoped it
would become ours. We bought it, the Suburban that came with it and a few weeks later, took both on
our three month cross country trip from New York to Oregon and back again. Included in that trip was
a smaller "Follow the Oregon Trail" trip. It's a rugged little vehicle, spartan yet comfortable and
has many enhancements that make it a delight to use. We briefly considered selling it last year, but
were glad we didn't when it came time to pull the ad and head south.

The fourth one (1963 22') came our way in October 1999 when a family in Wisconsin wrote offering to
sell it to us. They found our name from the column we write and knew we'd take good care of it (even
restore it). We bought it sight unseen on a Sunday morning, I left Sunday evening to fetch it (1200
miles), arrived Monday late, slept at HoJos, looked at it Tuesday morning, paid for it, modified our
trailer hitch and wiring to safely tow it and returned (arriving back here Wednesday noon). The
trailer followed like it wasn't even there. It's the lightest one we've ever owned and is 50%
restored. I've been told it may be one of the rarest and most easily restorable models ever built by
Wally Byam. Perhaps it was an exceptional find, even though it looks like any other ordinary old
Airstream. After restoration is finished, it will be stunningly beautiful and I'm hoping it will
make an excellent team player for our GMC Suburban 1500 6.2L diesel.

Both the '67 and '77 are 90% restored and are exceptionally road worthy. They may become our western
home base and caravan rig after we sell our house in the next 3-5 years.

The '86 was "home" last winter. It's mechanically mint, not in need of restoration and may become
our eastern home base with our '63 as caravan rig.

Now that both Sandie and I are retired and can do anything we wish, anytime we wish, we play with
our Airstreams (toys). All of them get as much or more traveling (play) time each year than one of
them ever got when we were working and had only a two week vacation. Keeping all of them registered
and insured costs piddling money. As for maintaining all the deep cycle marine batteries, I learned
long ago that solar panels would keep them fully charged 100% of the time (rain or shine, snowy or
cloudy days). See my solar articles on http://www.tincantourists.com along with a long list of RV
related links.

You guessed it, we're trying to live the life of Riley (in spite of occasional bumps in the road),

Terry