Re: [VAC] Vintage couple needs encouragement

OK, Gell cells do NOT have to be vented, they ARE
completely self contained.

The long narrow batteries you referred to are tractor
batteries and are actually quite easy to obtain...now the
problem; you won't likely find one for under $150, plus
they are not DEEP CYCLE. They are starting batteries.
They were used as RV house batteries before the common
advent of the deep cycle battery (the military services
were the only common users of deep cycle batteries in the
50s-60s, though there were a few others, notably the
phone companies.) The tractor batteries were chosen
because they were large and could discharge for quite
awhile before dying...but, they STILL don't like to be
deeply discharged or you will shorten the life span
dramatically.

From my own exhaustive researh, and my own prior follies,
I decided about 7 years ago to buy an OPTIMA battery, was
subsequentally sent overseas in the employ of Uncle Sam
and had to leave the vehicle in storage for a bit over
two years. Came home, oiled the cyliders and changed
spark plugs...and then realised I had not brought the
battery charger. On a whim, I attempted to start it. With
a bit of starter fluid sprayed into the aircleaner it
started right up. It is still in use today. I am now the
proud owner of 4 Optima deep cycle batteries as well,
although people think I am nuts when I tell them I paid
$160 each for them. I'd buy a dozen more if I had a need
for a very seriously reliable battery bank. Don't look
for a discount if you wish to buy one though...I've been
looking for a "sale" since the vehicle starting incident.

your occasionally humble servant,
Ralph