Re: [VAC] Tow vehicles

As only an experienced neophyte, I did not comment on weight and tow vehicle ...
but I see someone else has.  I agree the trailer weight here is way too
optimistic.
As for the tow vehicle, I looked real hard at SUV's last year -- after doing in
my beloved '90 Mazda MPV van towing our 17' Caravel over the mountain passes
here in Washington state.  [Mazda transmissions are known for being tender -- I
failed to change the transmission fluid before the trip -- at 120k miles it
died, though not before we got almost home].  I've forgotten the Tow Capacity of
the 4Runner, but it's borderline for your trailer.  Probably OK for on the flats
and holding speed down to 60 or less.
I ended up with a Toyota for my tow vehicle -- but a '97? Land Cruiser, rated at
4500 tow capacity [the V-8 engine starting in '97 or '98 has a significantly
higher rating, but I can't afford that].
Other than local outings, I have towed our Caravel on only 1 challenging trip --
from Portland, Oregon to Missoula, MT and back.  Great tow vehicle for this
light-weight rig -- so far.
I envy you your 4Runner gas mileage, though.  The Cruiser hardly manages 15mpg
downhill with a tailwind... but it doesn't seem to mind towing the Caravel too
much -- around 12mpg towing.
Huff