Re: [VAC] 55 Airstream

Dear Kim and Brent Jonson,

Welcome to the Vintage Airstream Discussion List.  Just a few months
ago, we would have had to guess at the model designation of your 1955,
because we did not have any official list or manufacturers records that
would help us decode your serial number.  Today, we have an Official
1959 Mobile Home Market report that lists all the models by group,
series, year of mfg, weight, plant, and retail suggested new price.   It
is not complete. because Airstream was so busy making trailers in the
50's, their serial numbers were not always decodable.  The fact that
Airstream opened a new factory in Jackson Center , Ohio in 52/53 and
started making trailers in 1953 also changed the standard.  Some of the
Ohio made trailers were different than the ones made in California.
Some of the models were only made in California, until the Ohio Plant
was completely up and running into the late fifties and early sixties.
Example, recent evidence indicates that all Bubbles were made in
California, only in 55, 56, and 57.  There are other examples, but the
jury is still out.  The point being, that we are not sure about all
coaches, and there  are several examples of "custom mades" or one of a
kind, that tend to skew the records.  In the case of Kim and Brent, the
Calif serial numbers for 1955 and 1956 are not listed, but the Ohio
numbers are listed.  Through the process of elimination, we can come
very close to the identity of each model.  Hopefully in the future, and
with the help of our new VAC Archives Historian, Fred Coldwell, we will
receive more information that will help us identify each and every
model.  Nuff said.  This is not an exact Science.   Brent, your 1955, 22
ft, single axle, ser # 7785, made in Los Angeles, should be a   "Flying
Cloud", further, there were two distinctions,  a "Flying Cloud", and a
"Flying Cloud TB".  The TB being the code for Twin Bed.  The twin bed
model was $100 more in cost.  The 55 FC, weight, 2870 (dry), length
22feet, measured rear bumper to hitch ball coupler, and the sugg retail
price new was $3350. Which was a lot of money in 1955.
I hope you enjoy your 55 Flying Cloud, and I hope you join the VAC, and
the WBCCI.  We would love to see your coach at the International Rally
in Bismarck, ND, next month.  Welcome Aboard.

Bill Scott
61 Bambi
66 Trade Wind LY