RE: [VAC] Battery venting

I had a "no maintenance" battery in my van a few years ago.  The van would
not start, and I had the battery checked.  The "no maintenance" battery was
a standard battery with a large cap that covered the fill holes.  The
mechanic explained the battery co. called them "no maintenance" for
marketing reasons, figuring by the time the water evaporated it would be
ready for replacement anyway.  Added water and it was fine.  Dunno how the
charging gasses are dealt with in the current "sealed" designs.