Re: [VAC] Tow vehicles

Hey Sailers!
I want to thank all of you for your info and genuine concerns.  I realize
the 4Runner was towing more that it's GVWR.  We only did it once because my
'84 LTD was on loan to my mom to tow her Globetrotter. By the way it only
has a 302 and I climb long grades at 45mph without flooring it, with my
4,500 lbs. loaded 26' Overlander. It has over 200,000 miles and still
doesn't require a quart of oitl between changes and shows what proper
maintainance and not straining it can do.  I think my original point was
that a light weight vintage AS doesn't need to be towed by a 4door
Freightliner.  In the old days I remember seeing a VW microw bus pulling a
16' Shasta up a grade at 10mph which I would not recommend.  Now days I have
a feeling plenty of people are towing brand new 9000lbs..dry weight AS
Limiteds and I'm sure plenty of them are exceding their GVWR's.  I agree
that it is important to keep up with traffic which I do at 60. For safety
reasons if I'm pulling a long grade I turn on my emergency flashers like the
semis do.
By the way I remember the smog equipment on CA cars in the Seventies robbed
so much power that a fullsize Lincoln only put out 160 hp, they came with
class 4 tow package options!  I wouldn't want to try that!
Thanks Again for your Concerns!
Vanessa
The Trailer Lady
'56 Overlander