Re: [VAC] Salvage and windows

My front window 31-1973 has two panes that had collected dirt and
condensation and even a dead moth between them. I read the service manual
and then proceeded to clean it.  First I unbolted the arms that raise the
window at the window frame. Then with one person on each end we raised the
window above horizontal and the whole frame slipped off of the trailer. I
set it on a blanket on the picnic table (the blanket was to keep from
scratching the panes) with the exterior face down. There were 14 small
screws around the inside frame. some of them came out easy, others needed to
be soaked with wd-40. 4 of them would not budge. I resorted to a small
impact wrench left over from motorcycle days and small hammer. With my
lawyer holding the frame and my tapping on the impact wrench I got the last
four screws out. The inside frame then lifted up off of the main frame.
There was a strip of weather stripping around the outside pane.  I pulled
this off and cleaned both panes with windex. Installed new weather stripping
(1/2 inch wide) and put it back together and reinstalled the window on the
trailer.  I thought this was going to be a 45 minute job however, with the
stuck screws it took almost three hours. I did replace all of the screws
with new ones. I used stainless screws as that was all I could find at the
local hardware store but I plan on replacing them with aluminum screws when
I find them.

Hope this helps.
Greg
caservice@uswest.net